- Oversee accounting activities related to external financial reporting and analysis, financial statement preparation and internal financial reporting.
- Serve as a leader and subject matter expert to the Financial Reporting team. Supervise the team’s workload and monitor for completion and accuracy.
- Oversee staff in the year-end closing process, preparation of financial statements, trial balances, adjusting entries, work schedules and footnote disclosures in accordance with GAAP.
- Monitor and ensure compliance with evolving accounting guidance; lead the team in interpretation and implementation of GASB Statements and other applicable accounting standards.
- Serve as liaison with technical staff on reporting and data projects; assist with internal and external data requests.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or related field required; CPA and/or Master’s preferred
- Prior experience managing a team of Accounting or Finance professionals
- Significant experience in finance or governmental accounting with a demonstrated knowledge of GAAP, budget practices, financial reporting and general business processes. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Experience with business accounting software required.
- Experience with Commonwealth budgeting, federal and state regulations relating to Section 529 plans, accounting principles and related activities a plus.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of SEC and applicable municipal security disclosure rules preferred.
- Proficiency working with external and internal financial systems to review and analyze data, reconfigure data using data management software, create reports and draw conclusions.
- Ability to read, compile, categorize, tabulate, analyze and verify data; and accurately interpret accounting records, complex financial statements, budget and forecasting detail, policies and procedures, and investment statements
- Ability to prepare detailed financial statements and related reports.
- Ability to build rapport and interact with coworkers, other state government employees and members of the financial community
- Ability to interpret the meaning of information for others - translating or explaining what information means and how it can be used
- Ability to identify and define problems, collect data, establish facts, develop and communicate options and draw valid conclusions
- Ability to adjust to shifting priorities and demands while meeting critical deadlines
- Knowledge of employee relationship building and performance management techniques; ability to utilize strong leadership skills with a dedication to driving and achieving results
- Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic, all Virginia529 employees are working remotely. Under normal circumstances, the Financial Reporting Manager works in a typical office environment with considerable time in a sitting, stationary position.
- Almost constantly operate a computer and other office equipment including typing and keying to enter accounting information from forms, reports and related documents.
- Frequently communicate with team members and third party business partners; must be able to exchange accurate information accordingly.
- Some travel required.