An early commitment scholarship program
SOAR Scholars, a part of SOAR Virginia, is an early commitment scholarship program for students interested in continuing their education beyond high school. Through individual advising, assistance with financial aid applications and scholarship support of up to $2,000, scholars reach higher, aspire for better futures and make their dreams take flight.
Virginia529 partners with six community organizations that provide advisors who work one-on-one with scholars at their high schools.
The SOAR Scholars program is offered in high schools from Lee County in far Southwest Virginia to the Eastern Shore.
SOAR Scholars Pledge
- As a SOAR Scholar, I pledge:
- I will maintain a minimum cumulative GPA* of 2.5
- I will meet with my early commitment advisor regularly
- I will complete financial literacy training during high school
- I will behave in a manner consistent with my school’s Code of Student Conduct
- I will attend school regularly without unexcused absences
- I will participate in community service activities
- I will complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or Virginia Alternative State Aid Application (VASA) during my senior year
- I will apply to an eligible educational institution, including a 2- or 4-year college or university, technical school or registered apprenticeship program
* or comparable academic achievement as determined by SOAR Virginia
- As a SOAR Scholar, I can expect:
- Advising on academic preparation for post-secondary education
- Financial literacy training
- Assistance completing college applications
- Assistance in obtaining financial aid, including help completing the FAFSA or VASA
- Scholarship support of up to $2,000 to apply toward post-secondary education
- Support from an Early Commitment Advisor and the SOAR Scholars community
- Recognition as a SOAR Scholar