Investment Options and Performance
Total Stock Market Index Portfolio
The Total Stock Market Index Portfolio invests entirely in the Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund, which employs an indexing investment approach designed to track the performance of the CRSP US Total Market Index. The Index represents approximately 100% of the investable U.S. stock market and includes large-, mid-, small-, and micro-cap stocks regularly traded on the New York Stock Exchange and Nasdaq. The Total Stock Market Index Fund invests by sampling the Index, meaning that it holds a broadly diversified collection of Securities that, in the aggregate, approximates the full Index in terms of key characteristics. These key characteristics include industry weightings and Market Capitalization, as well as certain financial measures, such as price/earnings ratio and dividend yield.
|Investment Portfolio||Unit Value||Daily Change||YTD Return1||1 Month2||3 Month2||1 Year2||3 Year2||5 Year2||10 Year2||Since Inception2||Inception Date||Expense Ratio|
|Stock Index||48.14%||0.39%||12.31%||-1.93%||8.52%||14.66%||9.65%||10.08%||12.07%||9.33%||Aug 2005||0.069%|
1. YTD Return as of 9/29/2023.
2. Total Returns as of 08/31/2023.
How to Interpret the Charts
The performance charts display historical performance for Invest529 portfolios. Two values are represented on each chart.
The first value is the daily Unit Price and is represented by the blue line on the chart. The second value is the percent change of the Unit Price based on a selected timeframe and is represented by the purple line. A date selector can be found underneath the chart that allows for custom date ranges to be chosen. These charts also feature the ability to zoom into pre-determined time periods (Note: Selecting a zoom period will not change the previously selected date range).
An unmanaged group of securities whose overall performance is used as a standard to measure investment performance.
Net Asset Value (NAV)
The market value of a mutual fund's total assets, minus liabilities, divided by the number of shares outstanding. The value of a single share is called its share value or share price.
To view the full definitions, please see the official Invest529 Program Description.
Average Annual Returns
Updated Monthly as of 08/31/2023
|1 Year||3 Year||5 Year||Since Inception Aug 2005|
|Total Stock Market Index Portfolio||14.66%||9.65%||10.08%||9.33%|
The Total Stock Market Index Portfolio’s Benchmark is a blended composite benchmark reflecting the asset strategic benchmark index components for each underlying investment manager, and an adjustment reflecting the administrative fee for the Portfolio:
- CRSP US Total Market Index
Portfolio Fees as of 8/31/2023
|Asset Management Fees||0.020%|
|Expense Ratio (Asset Management + Administrative Fee)||0.069%|
The Total Stock Market Index Portfolio seeks to track the performance of a benchmark index that measures the investment return of the overall stock market.
Because the Total Stock Market Index Portfolio invests entirely in the Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund, the Portfolio is primarily subject to stock market risk and has low levels of index sampling risk.
Open a Total Stock Market Index Portfolio account now
Highly rated. Expertly managed. Let Invest529 help you reach your savings goals.Get Started
Portfolio Selection Assistant
Use this handy tool to help narrow down your options.
Fees & Expenses
Learn more about the types of fees and how they are applied to your account.
Use these tools to determine future higher education costs and plan your saving strategy.
Get the Latest News
- All investment return information is calculated by BNY Mellon Asset Servicing. Returns are presented net of management fees and Invest529 administrative fees. Returns for periods greater than one year are annualized.
- The Invest529 Total Stock Market Index Portfolio uses the Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund (Institutional Plus Shares) as the underlying investment vehicle. This means that the Invest529 Portfolio invests in and owns shares of the underlying Vanguard Fund. Invest529 Program investors own shares of the Invest529 Portfolio; they do not directly own shares of the underlying Vanguard Fund.
- The Fund Benchmark is a custom benchmark that provides for the comparison of Fund performance results to an appropriate strategic benchmark index, in this case the CRSP US Total Market Index, with an adjustment reflecting the Invest529 administrative fee for the Fund.
- Past performance is no guarantee of future results. Please refer to the Invest529 Program Description and the underlying Vanguard Fund prospectus before making any investment decision.